Determine Your Wants and Needs
Grab a piece of paper and divide it into three columns. If you'll have a co-owner, have that person make a list too, but don't share ideas just yet.
Column 1, List Must-Have Features
- If the house must be located in a specific neighborhood or school district.
- If the house must have 3 bedrooms, a 2 car garage, a large kitchen, a view.
- If there must be no restrictions against a home-based business.
- If the home must be one level, with few or no steps.
- List every feature you feel is a must.
Column 2, List Features You Would Like:
- A basement or a deck.
- Whirlpool tubs, walk-in closets.
- A certain type of architecture.
- Gas heat.
- Central air conditioning.
- List all features that are important to you--but that you might be flexible about.
Column 3, List Features You Do NOT Want:
- A home located next to a highway or in a congested area.
- Certain types of architecture.
- Homes that need a great deal of work.
- List all features you absolutely cannot accept.